Please note that this summer program will be subject to factors such as Princeton University travel guidelines, government travel restrictions, and public health guidance.
An applicant must belong to an accredited institution and should have completed at least one year of college Japanese classes by the time he/she attends PII.
Application deadline: February 10, 2023
The PII application process consists of three steps:
- Step 1: Create a new account
- Step 2: Submit the online application form
- Step 3: Pay the non-refundable application fee $60
Step 1: Create a new account
To apply, you will need to create an account and submit an application online. Once an account is created, you can always return to your portal to view your application status, download, etc. Returning applicants will not need to create a new account in the future.
If you have an existing account, please log in to complete your application or check your application status.
Step 2: Submit your online application form
Please log in to your PII account and follow these instructions to complete the online application form. You will be required to upload documents and provide the information below.
1) Upload your statement of purpose:
- A one-page statement of purpose in English, 12-point font size, single-spaced
- Save your statement of purpose as a PDF file, and upload it.
2) Upload your homestay application form:
- Download the homestay application form through the online application form and fill it out. Then, please scan your completed document, save it as a PDF file, and upload it.
3) Upload your official transcript obtained from your school’s Office of the Registrar, including your Fall 2022 grades:
- Please scan your official transcript, save it as a PDF file, and upload it.
- Please do not have your Registrar send your transcript to us directly.
4) Provide two references:
- Provide two letters of recommendation from your Japanese instructors.
- One letter of recommendation must be written out by your fall 2022 Japanese instructor.
- Get the approval of your references before you provide her/his information on the online application. Your references will be sent an e-mail recommendation request as soon as you provide her/his name and contact information on the online application form. They are required to submit their recommendation online by February 10, 2023.
Step 3: Pay the non-refundable application fee $60
You have two options to pay the non-refundable application fee of $60:
1. Pay by PayPal
- After you submit your online application form, you will be given instructions on screen about how to pay the application fee by PayPal.
- The PII program must receive your PayPal payment by February 10, 2023.
2. Pay by Check: Mail the application packet with the acknowledgement of receipt and application fee check.
- After you submit your online application form, you will be given instructions about how to print out the acknowledgment of receipt of your online application form.
- Your check must be written out to P.I.I. Do not send cash.
- Send the acknowledgement of receipt and the non-refundable application fee (check) in one packet to Princeton in Ishikawa at:
Princeton in Ishikawa
c/o Yukari Tokumasu
East Asian Studies
211 Jones Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544
- The PII program must receive your application packet by February 10, 2023.
PII will inform you of the results of the admission process by February 28, 2023.
In compliance with the Title of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other federal, state, and local laws, Princeton in Ishikawa does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran in any phase of its admissions or other aspects of its educational programs or activities.